Welcome to Temple Israel of Lawrence. The Temple has served Reform Jews and the Five Towns community for over 100 years. We are led by Rabbi Jay Rosenbaum, Cantor Galina Makaveyev, and Temple President Jim Rotenberg.
Join Us for Shabbat Services, Friday night at 8:00 P.M.. Services are at 8:00 p.m. unless announced otherwise. Please check here or our Facebook page for service times.
Every Saturday Morning at 9:30 A.M. please join us for Torah Study led by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
The Mission of Temple Israel of Lawrence, NY is to strengthen and enhance all our lives through the practice of Reform Judaism. We aspire to attain these goals through Torah (study), Avodah (worship) and Aydut (community). We strive to fulfill tikkun olam, realizing our responsibility for a better world through acts of kindness, justice, and mercy. Our close congregational community is dedicated to Jewish growth and commitment, helping our members understand and live their unique Jewish identity, with a lasting involvement in Jewish life.
Temple Israel of Lawrence, NY was founded in 1908. Originally the congregation was know as Temple Israel of Far Rockaway. Initially services and meetings were held in rented space. Sanctuary ws built on the corner of Roanoke and State Street in Far Rockaway. It was a white colonial style building that still stands today and is occupied by another Jewish Congregation. It is know today as "The White Shul" in our community. The present building of Temple Israel was dedicated in 1930, and our congregation became Temple Israel of Lawrence. The Building was designed by S. Brian Baylinson, an architect who won numerous awards for architectural design in the United States and the world. He was a member of the New York Historical Buildings Committee. Mr. Baylison's design of our beautiful sanctuary is acknowledged as one of the mot distinguished worship centers in the United States. The publication of on Synagogue architecture highlights Temple Israel of Lawrence as one of the outstanding suburban Synagogue structures.
In 1948 a School Center was erected as part of our 40th Anniversary Celebration of Temple ISrael. The new School Center was dedicated in 1950 and served the needs of our growing Religious School.
In 1966 a major fundraising campaign was undertaken to build a new Religious School as well as to build social facilities. Modern classrooms were built and the building contains areas for for special enrichment programs, children and adult library, school auditorium, and a Chapel for worship and meetings.
We of Temple Israel of Lawrence, believe that no program can remain static and uchanging. We shall continue to seek new forms and new ideas in order to maintain the ideals of a ceaveand living Jewish faith.